Jump to the main content block

Work permits

The Office of International Affairs assists international students with work permit applications. International students who wish to work in Taiwan (either on-campus or off-campus) are required to apply for and obtain a work permit before starting work. Only holders of Alien Resident Cards can apply for work permits, exchange students are not allowed to work in Taiwan. Any employment without a work permit is illegal in Taiwan, and may lead to a fine of NT$ 30,000 – 150,000. 
For current regulations, please refer to the following documents:
Who can apply? 
Foreign, overseas Chinese, Hong Kong and Macau students, who are officially enrolled in an educational institution in Taiwan (for undergraduate, graduate studies, language course(s)), may apply for a work permit.
Application process
Only online-application is possible, please read the folllowing guidelines (download) on how to apply via the internet.
Required Documents 
1. Consent form for work permit application for Taiwan Tech (download
2. Scan of your Certificate of Study (Please use the machine in the entrance hall of the Administration Building to issue the Certificate of Study, or contact the Office of Academic Fairs, Registrar Section) 
3. Scan of your passport.
4. Scan of your Alien Resident Certificate
5. Scanned receipt of NT$100 fee transfer from a post office (NTUST post office recommended): 
Account Name: Account for Employment Permit Fee of the Workforce Development Agency, Ministry of Labor = 勞動部勞動力發展署聘僱許可收費專戶)
Account Number: 19058848 
Other Regulations
1. The status of international students in Taiwan should be in accordance with the regulations of Ministry of Education. 
2. Newly enrolled Foreign Graduate Students who obtained their school’s permission to work on course-related academic research can apply for a work permit. 
3. The period validity of a work permit is 6 months at most. 
4. For applications made in the fall semester, the work permit is valid until March 31th of the next semester; for applications made in the spring semester, the work permit is valid until September 30th of the same year. 
5. The maximum working hours are 20 hours per week. This limit does not apply during winter and summer vocation. 
6. According to the Employment Services Act, foreigners who work without a work permit will be fined from NT$30,000 to NT$150,000. 
7. Students should return the work permit (if valid) to Office of International Affairs if they suspend or discontinue their schooling.
For more details and regulations, please contact the Workforce Development Agency, Ministry of Labor
Address: 4F., No.439, Zhongping Rd., Xinzhuang Dist., New Taipei City 24219, Taiwan 24219新北市新莊區中平路439號南棟4樓
Tel: (02)8995-6000
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 – 12:30; 13:30 – 17:30
Office hours for foreigner's work permit application: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m  – 5:30 p.m.
Address: 10F, No. 39, Sec. 1, Zhonghua Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City